Community Service Chairs are Kathy Oas and Nancy Shuford.
The Community Service group meets monthly. Activities at the monthly workshop vary depending upon the current need. The morning may be devoted to sandwiching quilts, cutting borders, constructing backings, cutting and assembling kits, sorting and ironing fabrics, or sewing on labels. The fellowship is great and it’s a wonderful way to pick up quilting tips and new skills.
Seaside Piecemakers’ donations of time, fabrics, blocks, completed tops, and finished quilt enable Community Service to donate many quilts to needy individuals and organizations throughout the year.
For more details, click on one of the blue bars below:
- Attend the workshops on the 1st Wednesday of the month.
- Donate completed tops and/or quilts. See the list of suggested quilt patterns below. Our preferred sizes include:
- 36 inx48 in
- 48 inx48 in
- 50 inx50 in
- 54 inx72 in
- Bed quilts no larger than double bed size
- Raffle quilts are sometimes needed for organizations' fundraising efforts. This should be a particularly "nice" quilt that measures at least 54 in x 72 in.
- Quilting – either on your long arm or home machine. Club will provide batting. NO monofilament thread please!
- Attach bindings and labels.
- Donate high quality fabric – 100% cotton please. All yardage amounts are appreciated. Cuts of three yards or more are gratefully received to use for quilt backs. We also appreciate precut fabrics in the following sizes:
- 5 " squares
- 4 1/2" squares
- 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangles
- 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles
- 2 1/2" strips of any length
- 4 1/2" strips of any length
We often have easy quilt kits available for pick up at the general meetings. Great for beginning quilters! Pick one up, construct the top and return it to us when you get it finished …..no deadlines.
Community Service workshops are on the 1st Wednesday of each month (except December and March) from 9:30 am to 12:00 pm.
Meetings are at the Scotty Culp Auditorium located at 565 Cassia Boulevard in Satellite Beach. For the all-day workshops, please bring your sewing machine and your lunch. Stay all or part of the day and enjoy the fun and friendship with quilting friends while working on quilts for others.
Please note the following special scheduling modifications:
- May 3 - Community Service committee only as they prepare for three all-day summer workdays.
- June 7 - 9 am to 4 pm
- July 5 - 9 am to 4 pm
- August 2 - 9 am to 4 pm
- Aging Matters in Brevard
- Brevard Achievement Center
- Brevard Alzheimer's Foundation (previously known as Joe’s Club-Alzheimer Care Center)
- Brevard County Libraries
- Cancer Care Centers of Brevard
- Candlelighters of Brevard-Children with Cancer
- Devereux of Florida, Viera
- Genesis House
- Hacienda Girls Ranch
- Healthy Start
- Infusion Center-Malabar
- Jewel’s Crossing-Women Veterans with Children
- Meals on Wheels
- Nana’s House
- Promise in Brevard
- Serene Harbor-Domestic Violence Center
- Space Coast Early Intervention Center
- Suntree Dialysis Center
- The Women’s Center
- Wuesthoff Neonatal Center
If your organization would like to be added to our list of recipients, please give us a letter on your organization's letterhead describing your need. We are eager to support as many worthy causes as possible.
Suggested Quilt Patterns
Download instructions for a quilt you would like to make by using the link below the photo.